Love your clothes, fabrics and sewing
From making your clothes last longer, removing stains and simple repairs to developing your skills to revamp your wardrobe, there is lots of online advice available. Check out this selection of handy links to help you love your fabrics for longer. Get needle-nifty to make do and mend or remake into fabulous fashions.
There are lots of hints and tips to make your clothes last longer and the simplest one is to follow the care advice when washing.
Want to be more nifty with a needle?
- Teach yourself to sew – your guide to sewing basics includes video and advice from first principles
- Simple sewing repairs: make do and mend repairing zips, tears, seams, replacing buttons, restiching a hem.
- 10 clothing fixes that everyone should know includes replacing a drawstring, patching and hemming jeans and mending lining
- Sewing tips to save time, save money and avoid frustration includes tips for elasticated waistbands, fixing your sewing machine and sewing knitted fabrics
As you become more confident, you can learn more about fabrics and develop your skills to enable you to do more:
- Fabric terms explained
- Sewing Directory “How to sewing guides” for sewing tips for beginners and the more experienced, accurate sewing tips, how to sew a variety of hems and knitted fabrics, use invisable zips, interfacing, felts, alter a pattern, customise clothes and upcycling tips.
- Love Your Clothes shows how with just a little know-how in the care department you can make all the difference when it comes to keeping your clothes looking great.
- Develop your sewing techniques including tips and tutorials for working with different fabric types, fusing and pressing, garment details like bias seams, button holes, pleats and zips.
- How to guides from BBC Sewing Bee for customising clothes and making things for the home
There are many online courses for sewing. Look for free taster courses or mini-courses. Here are a few:
- Free online sewing classes from Love to Know Sewing
- Downloadable sewing lessons – free sample classes from Sewing Workshop
- Craftsy sewing courses – if you’re on a tight budget, visit the free mini-classes section
Here is an example of support tools which come with the free Craftsy mini-class (video tutorial) for Sewing Machine 911 to help you get the best out of your machine.
- Sewing machine troubleshooting chart (PDF 188 KB)
- Needles, bobbins and presser feet – tips and techniques (PDF 149 KB)
Local courses and clubs
Check your local press , colleges and community halls for details.
Images on this page courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net