Hazardous waste disposal

Arrangements for asbestos, asbestos containing materials (ACM), plaster and plasterboard disposal changed from 4 April 2016.  See our asbestos and plasterboard pages for details.

Some waste produced from the home is classed as hazardous waste and therefore more care and attention is required to recycle or dispose of these materials to avoid harm to people or the environment.

Hazardous waste banner

Items classed as hazardous waste include:

This is not a comprehensive list.  Hazardous wastes require special treatment so please ask site staff if you are unsure whether the items you are disposing of should be classed as hazardous waste.

Also see advice on Japanese Knotweed and Common Ragwort and on Chalara dieback of ash trees.

All centres accept:

  • Household chemicals including gardening, DIY and engine fluids
  • Low energy light bulbs and fluorescent tubes
  • Car batteries, tyres (charges apply) and engine oil
  • Household batteries, toner cartridges and mobile telephones
  • Electrical items
  • Gas containers (charges apply). Empty gas cylinders or oxygen bottles should be returned to the original supplier or manufacturer. (The manufacturer is usually identified on the side of the bottle).


Low energy light bulbs and fluorescent tubes

Some retailers have collection points for low energy light bulbs – see Recycle Now or Recolight for local details.

If you have a broken low energy bulb or tube, handle with care as they contain mercury. Although accidental breakage is unlikely to cause any health problems, it’s good practice to minimise unnecessary exposure to mercury as well as the risk of cuts from glass fragments. A vacuum cleaner should not be used to clear up a broken bulb or tube. Health Protection Agency advice is to:

  • Ventilate the room (15 minutes is suggested).
  • Place fragments in a plastic bag (you may wish to wear rubber gloves). The bag doesn’t need to be air tight but should be reasonably sturdy.
  • Wipe the area with a damp cloth, place that in the bag.
  • Sticky tape (e.g. duct tape or similar) can be used to pick up small residual pieces or powder from soft furnishings, which should then be placed in bag.
  • Double bag by sealing bag and placing it in another similar bag and sealing that one as well.

When double bagged and sealed, the broken bulb can be taken to be put in the low energy light bulb bins at recycling centres. Please take care that glass fragments do not cut the sealed bags or fingers.

The following are not accepted or require special handling (see further guidance below):

Ammunition and explosives

Do not take ammunition or explosives to recycling centres. Take all care when dealing with such items. If you have any ammunition or explosives for disposal, phone the police on 101 – or 999 if you have any concerns – for advice. If you find what could be unexploded ordnance, call 999 immediately.

Asbestos ~ Arrangements for asbestos and asbestos containing materials (ACM)disposal changed from 4 April 2016.  For asbestos disposal click here.


Do not put fireworks, even when fully spent, on the bonfire or bury. Fully spent fireworks (but not if misfired or partly spent) can be put out with refuse or in disposal skips at recycling centres. Misfired or partly spent fireworks should be soaked in a container of water and the manufacturer or supplier should be contacted for guidance on disposal.


Please return unused medicines to a pharmacist.  If you need a clinical collection for disposal of medical waste, contact your district council for details of the free clinical waste collection service.


Recycling sites do not accept mercury. Specialist hazardous waste processors should be contacted.

PlasterboardArrangements for plaster and plasterboard disposal changed from 4 April 2016.  For advice on plasterboard click here.

Plastic Oil Tanks

You can take old plastic oil tanks to a recycling site for disposal free of charge.  Before you arrive at a recycling site please ensure the tank is completely dry inside.  Cut the plastic oil tank in half.  This will help to drain the tank, and will make transportation and handling of the tank easier.   Please contact your local recycling centre direct before arriving at the site to ensure they have capacity to accept your old tank.

Petrol and Diesel

Please note that you cannot take petrol and diesel to the recycling centres. Petrol and diesel should be taken to a garage for reuse or disposal.

Roofing Felt (Containing Bitumen)

Roofing felt that contains bitumen is classified as a hazardous waste and therefore can only be disposed of via the commercial facility located near the Taunton (Priorswood) recycling centre. For prices see Construction and Demolition waste on the SWP-Viridor commercial Waste Services price list.

Storage Heaters

These may contain asbestos and so should not be broken up, but handled and disposal arranged in the same way as for cement bonded and sheet asbestos. See asbestos disposal page.