Recycling Centres and Community Recycling Sites have facilities to recycle a wide range of items and materials, as listed in table and notes below. Sites also accept non-recyclable household waste, including hazardous items for safe disposal, but please separate as much as possible for recycling.
|Batteries – car lead-acid
Batteries – portable household
Cans – drink & food
Cans – empty metal paint (2)
Car & vehicle parts (3)
CDs, DVDs & Videos (1)
Drink/liquid cartons (4)
Fridges & freezers
Gas bottles (charges apply)*
Glass bottles & jars
|Hardcore (charges apply)*
Oil – cooking oil
Oil – engine oil
Plastic bottles (6)
Soil (charges apply)*
Tyres (charges apply)*
Window glass (7)
We publish details of how materials are recycled, including an annual end-use register.
Notes with further information and details of sites without these facilities:
(1) Book and music banks for British Heart Foundation (good quality resaleable CDs, DVDs and videos only) at: Coleford, Dulcote, Street & Somerton. Unusable books can also be put in with cardbaord for recycling, but please consider donating good quality books to charity shops or finding other ways to allow them to be reused.
(2) Empty or dried out metal paint cans are accepted for recycling in scrap metal skips at all recycling sites. Empty plastic cans are not accepted for recycling and so should be put with waste for disposal.
(3) Car and vehicle parts: sites only accept car batteries, engine oil and tyres; other parts of vehicles are not classified as household waste and need to go to scrap dealers or commercial waste companies, who can be found in classified directories, such as Yellow Pages.
(4) Cartons (inc. Tetrapak) only at: Bridgwater, Chard, Crewkerne, Dulcote, Frome, Highbridge, Minehead, Street, Taunton, Wellington, Williton & Yeovil.
(5) Plasterboard only at: Bridgwater, Chard, Crewkerne, Dulverton, Frome, Highbridge, Street, Taunton, Williton & Yeovil.
(6) Plastic bottles at all sites except: Cheddar.
(7) Window glass only at: Bridgwater, Chard, Highbridge, Taunton, Wellington & Yeovil.