Apply for a permit

You need a permit to bring household waste into recycling sites with certain vehicles.  Please read this information then start entering details at bottom of this page (You will need to first enter your post code and select an address to confirm eligibility, then enter your full details, including address, manually to process your application.  In both cases please enter your home address).

  • Vans, pick-up, campervans and mini-buses or similar large capacity vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight
  • Trailers single axle up to a three metre floor length towed by cars

These vehicles cannot access any recycling site if towing a trailer: vans, pick-ups, campervans or mini-buses.

Only one permit for a van (or similar large capacity vehicle) and/or one permit for a trailer (to be towed by car) is allocated per household.

If you are unsure if your vehicle requires a permit, or if you wish to use a hire vehicle or trailer (which can only be a vehicle or trailer that would otherwise be permitted), you can find out more in the sections below.

All vehicles must be road legal to access any recycling site. Under permit T&Cs, your data may be shared with Local Authority Officers and other governmental organisations legally entitled to request the information we hold.

Permit frequently asked questions and answers (opens in a new tab)

IMPORTANT UPDATE: If you have an existing permit with an expiry date, the scheme is being rolled on with no changes. All existing and new cards will remain valid unless any key details – such as your address or vehicle – change. Only then do you need to apply for a new free permit and destroy the old card. The only thing changing is that those applying will get a different coloured card with no expiry date.


• You must bring your permit with you when you attend site with your van or trailer.

• Only a maximum of one van permit and one trailer permit will be allocated per household.

• You accept the restrictions on access for vans and trailers as specified in our Permitted Vehicles guidance.

• All vehicles must be road legal to access any recycling site.

• You must not bring waste to a recycling site for which you have taken payment to transport or deposit, even if it is from a household.

• Commercial waste cannot be deposited at any Somerset recycling site under the applied-for permit.

• The site operator (Viridor) has instructions to enquire as to the origin of waste being deposited if they suspect the waste is not from your household.

• Somerset Waste Partnership reserves the right to make further enquiries regarding the source of the waste and, if found to have originated from a commercial source, will seek to take legal action against the vehicle driver.

• The site operator (Viridor) has the authority to refuse use of the site to anyone suspected of depositing commercial waste as household waste.

• Failure to comply with the site operator’s compliance checks may result in the withdrawal of your permit.

• Permits are not transferable and should be destroyed if you no longer use the van or the towing vehicles for which the details are shown on the permit. A new permit with the correct vehicle details will be required by making a new application.

• All permits remain the property of Somerset Waste Partnership and will be withdrawn if these terms and conditions are breached.

• These terms and conditions, and others relating to use of recycling sites and other waste services, may be changed at any time without prior warning.

• On entering any Somerset Waste Partnership site your Vehicle Registration Number Plate will be recorded by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition system and Closed Circuit TV cameras. These are in operation on all Household Waste Recycling Centres and Community Recycling Sites across Somerset.

• Your data will be used by Somerset Waste Partnership for the purposes of processing your permit application, monitoring site usage, advising you of permit system changes and renewal reminders.

• Your data may be shared with Local Authority Officers and other governmental organisations legally entitled to request the information we hold. We will only share your data in order to meet statutory obligations and where we are legally required to in order to ensure compliance with the terms of use of our facilities.

• Use of this permit scheme is solely for Somerset residents with a residential address within the County.


If visiting a recycling site in Somerset with your household waste you may need a permit depending on the type of vehicle you are using, or if towing a trailer.  Please be aware there are restrictions on both vehicle and trailer size.

Permits are only available to Somerset residents. Permits are free and must be taken to site and displayed on each and every visit.

Most vehicles without trailers do not need a permit, but drivers of vans, pick-ups, campervans, minibuses and trailer users, must check requirements before they visit site. In most cases, the simplified permit system just needs the DVLA vehicle classification; check this online or on your V5 document (where your vehicle does not have a DVLA classification, please contact the SWP office for clarification).

Do I need a permit?

This predominantly depends on the DVLA vehicle classification of your vehicle category which can be found by using the link to the DVLA website provided here. Look up your vehicle details and check the classification shown in the line called “Vehicle Type Approval”.

You need a permit if you use a:

  • – Vehicles with an ‘N1’ classification, which means ‘designed and constructed for the carriage of goods under 3.5 tonnes’, such as: vans, pick-ups and some Land Rovers.
  • – Campervan or minibus with ‘N1’ or ‘M1’ classification.
  • – Single-axle trailer of up to three-metre floor length (but only if towed by a car with ‘M1’ classification – including similar pre classified vehicles). Vehicles that require a permit cannot tow a trailer under any circumstances.

You may need a permit if you use a:
Pre DVLA classified vehicle—please contact SWP for clarification where your vehicle does not show a DVLA classification.

You cannot apply for a permit or visit any site if you use a:

  • – Vehicle with an M2, M3, N2 or N3 classification.
  • – Any Luton van or box van, regardless of classification.
  • – Single axle trailer over three-metres floor length.
  • – Any multi-axle trailer.
  • – Horse box, agricultural vehicle, agricultural trailer.

You do not require a permit unless towing a single axle trailer:

  • – Any vehicle (except camper vans & minibuses) with an M1 classification, (or similar pre classified vehicles) ‘designed and constructed for the carriage of people and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat’, such as: most cars, estates & people carriers. Only these vehicles may tow a trailer on to a recycling site.

Hired vehicles – if hired for up to three days and compliant with permit conditions, take hire contract to site staff on entry and fill in a waiver form, which acts as a temporary permit

Click here to check your vehicle registration

These vehicles cannot access sites while towing trailers: vans, pick-ups, campervans, minibuses, Land Rover pick-ups. There are no exceptions to this condition. Multi-axle trailers cannot access sites. There are no exceptions to this condition.

Permits allow use at open sites during normal operating hours.  Permits are only available at Somerset residential addresses.

If you are a business user, you do not need a permit to start or continue using the 10 recycling sites that take paid-for trade waste but check for details of access and vehicle changes.

The best way to ensure you are up to date about waste services, including the permit scheme and other measures, is to sign up for our monthly e-newsletter, Sorted.

This will have the latest details, information on how to apply for a free permit, and advice for those depositing paid-for commercial waste. You can sign up during the permit application or from the home page.

Check below to see which vans, including car derived vans, pick-ups, camper vans, minibuses and Land Rovers require permits. In case of queries, your vehicle make, model and type is given in the V5c vehicle registration document. Your gross vehicle weight (GVW, in kilogrammes) should also be shown. Land Rovers have a separate pictogram, below.

IMPORTANT: Following changes agreed by Somerset Waste Board on 30 June 2017,  please see the revised pictogram below.

Check below to see which vans, car derived vans, pick-ups, camper vans and minibuses requires permits.  See pictogram for Land Rovers. In case of queries, your vehicle make, model and type is usually given in the V5c vehicle registration document. Your gross vehicle weight (GVW, in Kgs) should also be shown

Land Rover users: you must check to see if your vehicle is classified as M1 or N1. Those with a M1 classification do not need a permit, unless one is required for towing a single axle trailer of up to three metres floor length. Those with a N1 classification do need a permit and cannot tow a trailer.

Land Rovers without a classification: users of Land Rovers with no classification, usually pre-1968 models, seeking a permit should check the Land Rover page of the SWP website first, and then contact SWP customer services with all their details – name, address, phone, email – and those of their vehicle – type, registration number – by emailing with the subject line “Permit: unclassified Land Rover”.

Vehicles without a classification: users of other vehicles with no classification seeking a permit should contact SWP customer services with all your details – name, address, phone, email – and those of their vehicle – type, registration number – by emailing with the subject line “Permit: unclassified vehicle”.


Confirm your address

To use Somerset’s recycling centres for your household waste you must be a resident of Somerset.

I agree to the above terms and conditions.